Monday, May 2, 2022

Transparency matters

Those who know me know I'm an extremely transparent person (about myself, that is). I will answer any question about me, no matter how personal. I'll gladly talk about my feelings, sex, gender and anything else, if someone wants to, and without limits. I'll even tell you how much I make, and how much I have in the bank, if asked. Only exceptions are my passwords and a few small things tied to my security and safety.


Yesterday, someone asked me WHY I'm like that. There are several reasons. One is that I have no reason to hide anything. I'm happy and proud about most of what I've done and have, and I don't dodge responsibility for the things I'm not proud of. Secondly, transparency inspires TRUST, which is very important to me to both give and get. Third, I want everyone else to be transparent. I desire to have transparency from my friends, family, boss, colleagues, politicians and leaders, but before I can ask for it, I need to practice and demonstrate it myself (and by being transparent and successful, I show others that it can work). And the fourth reason: it's just so much simpler. Telling the truth and being transparent is the simplest, because Its much easier to remember.


A few people I know are the exact opposite. They only browse in "private" mode, avoid social media, never talk about anything personal and flaunt their secrecy as if it makes them better than everyone else. I know some folks who don't even tell their own wives or husbands how much money they make, or present themselves with a fake name. Naturally, it's their right to do so, but to be honest, none of them are particularly happy. Being so closed-up has left them with little to no friends, and most of them are in a nearly constant state of fear and stress (that someone will find out something about them). That's no way to live, I think. Human beings are social creatures. We need each other and we need human connection. Let's all just live honestly and transparently! 

No comments:

Post a Comment